15 August 2012

Episode 94: Pirates

Arrgh, mateys!  Pirates be the topic of this week's episode.  Captain Brent and Rob F. Beard set sea to focus on pirate themed games and pirate themed levels, and capture a great booty of gold treasure (in the form of music) along the way.  Full track listing below.



Game - Composer - Song - Company - Console - Year (North American release unless otherwise indicated)

Moon Crystal - Tsukasa Tawada - Stage 4: Pirate Ship - Hect - Famicom - 1992

Gimmick! - Masashi Kageyama - Good Weather (Stage 2) - Authentic Entertainment/Sunsoft - Famicom - 1992

The Pirates of Dark Water - Rick Fox (Fox Productions) - Citadel (part 1) - Iguana Entertainment/Sunsoft - Genesis - 1994

Rockman and Forte - Akari Kaida - Pirateman - Capcom - Super Famicom - 1998

New Horizons - Yoko Kanno - Land of Luxury - Koei - SNES - 1994

New Horizons - Yoko Kanno - Wind Ahead - Koei - SNES - 1994

Sküljagger: Revolt of the Westicans - Dave Hayes, Rod Barr - Warehouse - Realtime Associates/American Softworks - SNES - 1992

Uncharted Waters - Yoko Kanno - Aboard in the Temparate Area - Koei - NES - 1991

Pirates! - David Wise - Tavern Theme 1 - Rare/MicroProse/Ultra Games - NES - 1991

The Pirates of Dark Water - Rick Fox (Fox Productions) - The Sunken Bridge - Iguana Entertainment/Sunsoft - Genesis - 1994

The Pirates of Dark Water - Phase Out - Miregone Jungle - Sunsoft - SNES - 1994

Ardy Lightfoot - Akiko Hashimoto, Katsuhiro Hatano - Gilson's Pirate Ship - ASCII/Titus - SNES - 1994

Higemaru Makaijima: Nanatsu no Shima Daibouken - Harumi Fujita - Cuck Island - Capcom - Famicom - 1987

Pirates! - David Wise - Merchant/Divide the Plunder - Rare/MicroProse/Ultra Games - NES - 1991

Final Fantasy V - Nobuo Uematsu - Pirates Ahoy! - Square - Super Famicom - 1992

11 comments:

  1. I love the new format of the listings on Itunes. It really does make things easier to find and more compact which in my opinion is a great thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great topic and one that definitely needs to be revisited.

    My favorite pirate themed track is this one from High Seas Havoc for the Genesis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25_kuaHTbvc. It totally sounds like a tune from Final Fantasy IV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes, High Seas Havoc has some really good music on it. I was gonna play a track on this episode, but I realized it would work for the next episode as well, so I saved it for later to leave more room for other tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pirates citadel track is really good. I love that sinking part.

    Yoko Kanno did th music for the anime show Cowboy Bebop. I didn't care much for the show, but I have a lot of the music from it and it's all good. I recommend checking it out. There's a lot of variety in that music. See also Yoko Kanno & the Seatbelts.

    The slightly out of tune synths in Sunken Bridge remind me of 70s sci if i music, more specifically some of the Clockwork Orange music, and to a lesser degree some Death Race 2000 music. And also the intro to Mr. Crowley by Ozzy Osbourne.

    Ardy Lightfoot is the most piratey sounding song of the episode I think.

    And I forgot to weigh in before, but I don't know if I would classify Rollergames as a beat em up because of the 2 automatically scrolling levels where you don't fight anything except for 2 guys on skateboards.


    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally second Big Mike's recommendation Yoko Kanno's work on Cowboy Bebop and anything else. she's done a lot of great work for several awesome animes: Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, and Ghost In the Shell: Stand alone Complex.
    She is yet another amazing female composer/musician/arranger! I particularly fancy the jazzier stuff on the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack, the song "Piano Black" comes to mind as one Brent might like, the theme "Tank!" is unforgettable, and I think both Rob and Brent will appreciate the cutesy hilarity of the song "Cats on Mars"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, she is a great composer! I have her Macross Plus, Macross Frontier, Memories (Magnetic Rose), Escaflowne, and the Ghost in the Shell soundtracks in my collection. Many of her fans (me included) consider her the John Williams of anime.

    It was a real treat to hear some of her VGM work in this podcast because I totally forgot she composed music for video games.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are Sega CD tracks acceptable for LMH? I doubt it, but if so, you missed one of the most classic pirate games - Secret of Monkey Island! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HERilq6-9JQ&t=0m37s

    The Amiga version is most retro, though I know you don't accept Amiga: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpmpBLANYwM

    Actually, I take that back. The DOS internal speaker is most chippy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IOL4q5tDDQ

    ReplyDelete
  8. At first I got excited when I saw the title because I thought it was going to be only songs from Pirate carts (like somari or FFVII-NES). Maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to join the mob in hyping Yoko Kanno's other music, especially her Cowboy Bebop Soundtrack work. She's one of the greatest of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice, I like how everyone recognizes Yoko Kanno from her anime work.

    Had no idea she composed for video games too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brent claims he had been waiting to play his Gimmick track for a while, but he should have realised the Gimmick soundtrack would be fair game in the previous episode TOYS as in that game you play as a toy and each boss is the toy come to life in another world.

    ReplyDelete